Friday, October 15, 2004

What a busy day. I got myself, Kevin, and Alison up this morning and we all raced around getting ready to head off to the doctor's office. Kevin had the day off because his mom is still here, so he wanted to come with me, since it's probably the only appointment he'll be able to make it to during the stim phase, since he's going to be taking most of next Thursday off when we take Alison to U of M for her appointment with the orthopedic surgeon. I suppose we could have left Alison home with grandma except that 1) she wasn't up yet and 2) Laurie had been disappointed that she hadn't gotten to see Alison when we were there the last time, so I thought we'd take a chance that she'd be there this morning and bring Alison in to see her. Besides, I'll have to bring her by myself a couple of times next week, so having help keeping her occupied this time was nice.

I had to be at the office between 8 and 8:45. There are no set appointments for this, since the nurses are the ones doing everything. It's first come, first served. I was trying to get us there as close to 8 as I could, in the hopes that we wouldn't have to wait too long. We got there at 8:15. Not too bad, but we still had to wait half an hour. They can zip right through the list when it comes to drawing blood, but they get a little backed up when it comes to the ultrasounds. We got home at about 9:30. Since we didn't feed her before we left, Alison wolfed down her breakfast! I'm happy to report that, with a history of being hard to draw, Julie got my blood on the first try without even having to dig around. Hooray! My ultrasound was good, too. My uterine lining was .5 and I had about 6 follicles already. Laurie was tickled to see Alison. She had seen her once before, when she was about 11 weeks old, when I stopped by to donate the unexpired leftover meds that I wanted to clear our of my cabinet. She's still just about the only person who thinks Alison looks like me.

Before we left, I talked to Laurie about the problems we were having getting in the Repronex and she told me that she knew they had it in stock at the Walgreens in Saginaw and at Meijer in Saginaw, so if my Walgreens couldn't get it, they could either get it from the other Walgreens or call the script in to Meijer. Problem solved. She also gave me a refresher course on how to take the meds and explained the new ways Gonal-F is packaged and how to administer them. I went in to pick up the meds they had for me today after Alison went down for her nap, and got home just a few minutes before Laurie called with my test results. Everything looked good, but my E2 was a little high, so instead of 4 amps of Gonal-F and 4 of Repronex, I'm to used 5 and 5. Since I now knew that I had the Gonal-F pen, she talked me through how to use it, and I did my first injection after I got off the phone. The Gonal-F pens are subq injections. Since I did all of my injections intramuscularly last time, I'm to go ahead and try them subq until my next bloodwork and ultrasound (which will be on Wednesday), and if necessary, we can switch to IM. I'm going to like doing them subq for the time being at least. It's one less shot in the rear, and one less shot that Kevin has to give me. He still has to do the Repronex, though. He did his first injection tonight and did just find, despite being very nervous.....it's been 3 years since he's had to do this, you know.

I know it sounds strange, but I swear I can feel the meds working almost as soon as we're done giving the injection. I guess we'll see how they're doing on Wednesday.

No comments: