Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I've only been back at this blogging thing since Monday, and already I skipped a day.

Yesterday ended up being quite busy. Alison had PT in the afternoon. She actually did a really good job for a change, which Eileen and I were very happy about. From there, we raced over to a friend's house so she could have a playdate while Kevin and I went to a meeting with her teacher. She had a great time and we had a good meeting (more to follow). After that I raced back to pick Alison up. It took me nearly 20 minutes to get settled down enough to get her shoes and coat on so we could leave. Then we were off to Petsmart for a contribution for the Dog Lover's gift basket that her class is putting together for the silent auction at the school carnival next week. Then we were finally home for the evening.

The meeting with the teacher went well. We wanted to find out why her evaluation made it sound like she the worst child on the planet and no one had bothered to tell us. It really wasn't as bad as it sounded. We know she doesn't have poor self-help skills, but she'll often be in such a hurry to get back to whatever is going on in class that she doesn't always get her pants back up before she comes out of the bathroom. She's so easily distracted that it's very hard for her to get her work done, even when she's off by herself. Most everything goes back to the distractability. She can tell a great story, but her writing skills are not so good so she can't get it down on paper. We are working with her at home, and she's going to have an OT evaluation, which will likely result in OT for next year, so hopefully we'll get things straightened out. The teacher knows that we're as on top of things as we can be and she appreciates it.

For some reason, I woke up at 5:15 this morning. That really sucked, because I didn't need to be up for 2 more hours. I layed in bed trying to go back to sleep and finally succeeded between my 7:07 and 7:14 alarms. I have no idea why I woke up so early and I hope it doesn't happen again tomorrow.

This week, Kevin started working out in the mornings before work. It's been great for me because he can sign me up for the cardio machine of my choice, which lately has been the crosstrainer, and I don't have to worry about them all being taken when I get to the gym. I can just walking, hit the bathroom, and hop on my machine. Even better, he signs me up for the #1 crosstrainer, so I'm in front of a brick pillar and the person on the treadmill behind me can't see/watch me. I know it's highly unlikely that anyone behind is paying any attention to what I'm doing, but it makes me feel less self-conscious.

One other thing did happen today that I was not real pleased about. We take latex precautions with Alison bcause she's at high risk for developping a latex allergy. It's in her IEP that contact with latex is to be limited. So what does she tell me that she did in gym class today? They got to play with balloons! So I e-mailed the teacher to see if they were playing with latex balloons in gym and, if so, could she please tell/remind the gym teacher that Alison isn't supposed to be around latex, and if the balloons weren't latex, could she find out where they got them from. I didn't hear back today. Hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.

No comments: