Tuesday, September 6, 2005

For anyone who thinks cell phones are not a distraction when you are driving, I've got news for you.....they are!

Last night we came home from spending the weekend with my parents. I decided to take over driving after we stopped to pick up something for dinner, mostly because I just wanted to get home and I drive faster, or at least at a more consistent speed, than Kevin. I also figured that he could finally get ahold of his mother, since he tried to Sunday night and she ended up calling our cell twice and our house 3 times because she is incapable of listening to and comprehending messages left on answering machines. But that's another story.

So we switched places and Kevin did call his mom, but she wasn't back from visiting his grandmother at the nursing home. He left a messaged that she could call the cell and he would be able to talk because he wasn't driving. So I knew that she would be calling back eventually.

We'd been on the road for a little more than an hour. We passed a cop that was just finishing up with a car s/he had pulled over. I had slowed down to the exact speed limit and a little ways down the road started speeding up again. I knew that the cop had finished up and pulled out. At the exact time that I was cruising down the highway at 79 mph and realized that the cop was coming up behind me really fast, the phone rang. Somehow, in that split second, my brain connected the phone with the cop, thinking that it was coming at me with lights and sirens, even though the flashing lights weren't even on. I nearly drove off the road! The cop blew past me, off on some other business, and Kevin answered the phone. And once my heart slowed down, I calmly drove us the rest of the way home.

No comments: