Tuesday, February 8, 2005

I've decided the time has come for Alison to learn a second language. It's probably past time, actually, but we're going to get started now. I had initially thought to start teaching Alison French once she turned 2, and I will start that eventually, hopefully before she turns 3, but for now I think we're going to work on sign language (ASL, not baby signs), and this is what we're going to use: Signing Time. Signing Time came to our attention over the summer when we were at the fetal surgery reunion. It was created by and is produced by one of our fetal surgery families. Their youngest is the one that has SB (and also CP), but their oldest was born deaf.

I was watching one of the demo clips on the website and Alison came over to check it out and was fascinated by it. Today she came to me and kept saying "eat....on the computer....kids.....on the computer....eat...." It took me quite a few minutes to figure out what the heck she was talking about. Then it finally clicked. She wanted to see the clip teaching the sign for "eat." So we watched it a few times. Already, after viewing 7 or 8 times, she'll sometimes do the sign if you ask her. There was a clip from the second volume, so we watched that a little, too, and learned the sign for "train." Because of the interest she's shown, we're going to use the money she got from one of her grandmas for Valentine's Day and buy the first DVD of the series. If she enjoys it and seems to be learning from it, we'll work on getting the rest. Sign language is something that has always fascinated me, and is something I've always wanted to learn, so even if Alison doesn't pick it up, at least I'll be able to learn some. :)

No comments: