Thursday, May 6, 2004

Bikinis

On Tuesday Alison and I were shopping at Walmart. We were browsing through the baby/toddler section when we came across the swimsuits. They had some really cute ones. Even though the one I really liked was the bikini with the grass skirt, I searched the racks for a one piece instead. Why? I have no issues with bikinis for toddlers, in fact I think they're kind of cute. But I thought to myself that there was no way I could put Alison in a bikini. Someone might see her back. And her back is pretty ugly looking. She's got a nasty looking scar from where they did the closure, and she's got another one, which doesn't look quite as bad, from a skin graft to cover the flank incision that was necessary to give the surgeon enough skin to do the closure.

Kevin and I have talked about her back periodically. He will occasionally ask me what she's going to think about her scars when she gets older. There will probably be a time when she'll be very self-conscious about it. If that's the case, plastic surgery is an option we can explore. I'm hoping, though, that she'll just accept that's the way she is and not give it a second thought. That's why we want to try and treat her just like a regular kid as much as possible. And regular kids sometimes wear bikinis when they're little. So I bought it.

No comments: