Wednesday, February 4, 2004

Birthdays...sometimes they’re just another day

One month ago I turned 32. Unlike many people, I guess, I don’t mind birthdays. I don’t mean to say that I like getting older, but birthdays are not something I dread. I still think they're kind of fun. I get to go out to eat at the restaurant of my choice, I get presents, and I get a birthday cake. What’s not to like about that?

This year, my birthday was just another day. I did get to go out to eat (at Red Lobster) but not until a week later. I did get presents, also a week later. (Kevin got me a stuffed gorrilla and a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, which I’ve wanted for a long time.) I didn’t get a cake though. Nobody remembered to order me one.

It’s not that I’m complaining (not much anyway). We all had a lot on our minds. Gramp died on Christmas Day. Alison was in the hospital most of the next week. Was she going to get out in time for us to be back in Ohio for Gramp’s memorial service? Yes. She got out New Year’s Day, the day before we had to leave again. In Friday’s mail, I received a birthday card. It was from Grandma. That was hard, because it was the first card I have ever received that was not from both of them and I was not prepared for it.

Saturday was the memorial service. It was a busy day. We rushed around getting dressed and ready to go, getting Alison fed, getting to the church early. Before we knew it, people started arriving. Then we had the service and visiting time afterward. Once everyone had pretty much left it was time to pack up the flowers and get Grandma home. Then we had to figure out what to do about dinner, since there wasn't anything to eat at my parents' house and Grandma didn't really have anything for her to eat either. Throw into the mix the fact that Alison needed a breathing treatment and we didn't bring her nebulizer with us and that found us racing back to my parents' and then coming almost all the way back to Grandma's to meet everyone for dinner and then drive back again.

Sunday we were up early for church, then home to pack, out to have lunch with the "Lunch Bunch," back to the house to make sure everything was in the car and then we were ready to leave. It was during all this that my mom realized that she hadn't even thought about getting me a cake. All that next week, Kevin kept saying that he had to order me a cake, yet my belated birthday celebration came and went without a birthday cake.

Oh well, sometimes birthdays are just another day. Maybe next year I'll get a cake.

No comments: