Tuesday, June 29, 2004

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Today has been absolutely gorgeous so far. It's warmer than it's been in weeks. We were able to go out and play in t-shirts and shorts this morning. I haven't let Alison out in shorts in the morning since the end of May, I think. Since we've been having to wear long pants and jackets or sweatshirts, I didn't really realize how sunny it is in our backyard in the mornings. We had to come back in and put some sunscreen on because I had forgotten all about it.

Our neighbor was off today, and with it being such a nice morning, he was getting ready to take off on his Harley while we were out playing. As soon as Alison heard the engine start, she was off in search of the "cycle." She would have loved to have gone over and climbed on, but she doesn't understand, yet, that motorcycles have hot exhaust pipes, and they don't mix well with little girls' hands. So she had to be content to walk down the driveway and the sidewalk in front of our house until "Mr. Mike" took off.

I wanted to sweep off the patio because it kind of needed it and it was bugging me. I had barely walked out of the garage with the broom when Alison came running over to "help." I think I need to seek out a toddler sized push broom. (I'm not sure it will help, though. She has her own little rake, yet when I got my big rake out to clean up the stick debris Bo left after a couple of days of chewing on sticks, she wanted to use mine instead of hers.) I was finally able to get her more interested in mowing the grass with the bubble(less) mower and the patio looks much better now.

Why does Alison keep asking for her colors (crayons or, in this case, sidewalk chalk) and then not color with them when she gets them? I'm starting to think I have the only toddler that doesn't like to color. I drew a sunshine with a smiley face in it. Then we picked up all the chalk. We sang the sunshine song a few times (You are my sunshine, that is) and then Alison gave the sunshine a kiss. She had yellow chalk on her nose when she got back up. I've got to remember to always bring the camera out with me, because that would have been such a good picture.


This afternoon we're going to go for our usual walk. We'll definitely be going back outside to play after supper, although if she plays her cards right, Alison may be able to get daddy to take her out again before supper, too. I heard the weatherman say this morning that we should be in the 80's by the end of the week. If this keeps up, we might even be able to get the pool out and get some use out of the new bathing suits that are hanging in Alison's closet waiting to be be worn.

No comments: