Friday, February 13, 2004

Rambling (well, whining is probably more like it)

I'm feeling rather out of sorts today. It's a bright sunshiny day and it's supposed to be around 32 degrees (although it's really windy). It's the kind of day that should make me feel great, but instead I'm tired and restless and feel like I just want to cry.

My husband has been driving me crazy lately. He was griping just the other night (Wednesday, I think) that he didn't have time to go shopping for me for Valentine's Day because he had to work all day and then when he comes home he has to take care of Alison. When I pointed out that Alison is portable, and could thus go shopping with him, he said he didn't even think about that. How does he think I get my shopping done?!? I pack Alison up and hit the stores.

Several years ago we were counselors for the senior high youth group at our church. This year we are counselors for the middle school youth group. Two weeks ago was the annual ski trip for the middle schoolers. Since he loves to ski and hasn't been skiing since we did senior high, Kevin didn't even hesitate to agree to go along for this trip. Not only that, he didn't even ask if I wanted to go. He just assumed that because I don't really like to ski that I would want to stay home with Alison. So he went. Now he says he owes me a weekend to go anywhere I want to and he'll stay home with Alison. When I asked him where exactly I was supposed to go, he suggested my parents'. Wouldn't they just love if I came to visit for a weekend and didn't bring their granddaughter, whom they don't get to see very often as it is, with me?

Now he's involved with a senior high discussion group at church (I think it's part of LOGOS) on Thursday nights. They deal with a lot of tough subjects and wanted/needed a man to provide male perspective. It's supposed to be from 7:30 to 8:30. He did ask me if it would be ok and I agreed, even though it will interrupt Alison's nighttime routine, since he gives her her bath at around 8:15. But I figured he could just do her bath early, before he goes to his meeting. Last night he had to go early so he could go over things with the person in charge of the group, so I asked him to try to get out a few minutes early so he could be home by 8:30 to help get Alison ready for bed and that way she would only be about 15 minutes behind schedule (even if I had wanted to do bath last night, my knees were killing me). Not only did he not leave early, he stayed late to discus next week's meeting. He waltzed into the house at 8:50 without even apologizing for being late. Alison didn't even get in the tub until almost 9:00. When I asked him why he just didn't ask her if they could talk about it today or early next week because he needed to get home he told me he didn't even think about it.

That right there seems to be the problem lately. He doesn't think. He just does. And complains if he doesn't have time to get done what he wants to do on a particular night. There are things I'd like to do, too, but I don't have time to do them for one reason or another.

No comments: